The DWP is responsible for overseeing a number of key benefits and payments, including state pension, universal credit, and PIP. The rule change is slated for June, so people living in the UK have limited time to act on the issue. It concerns what is known as the EU Settlement System, which now comes into force after the UK leaves the European Union.

Preinstalled status is for those who have not lived in the UK for five consecutive years.

But these people must have started living in the UK before December 31, 2020, unless they are applying as a close family member of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen who has started to live in UK at that time.

Individuals can stay in the UK for an additional five years from the date they unlock the pre-established status.

They must then apply for the status established before that pre-settled status expires in order to stay in the UK.

If a person has an established or preinstalled status it will mean a lot to their life in the UK.

Individuals will be able to work in the UK, as well as enroll in further education or study.

But it should be noted that they will also be able to access public funds such as benefits and pensions, if they are eligible for them.

The established or pre-settled status also allows people to use the NHS for free, if they can at this time.

However, the government has explained the rights of these people in order to provide further clarification.

Its website says: “You will have different rights if you get established or pre-established status because you applied to join your EU, EEA or Switzerland family member and you are arrived in the UK after December 31, 2020.

“For example, you will not be able to bring your family members under the EU settlement program.”

To apply for the EU Settlement Program, a person will need certain documents and information to be provided to the government.

These include proof of identity and UK residence, unless a person has a valid permanent residence document or valid unlimited leave to stay or enter the UK.

Citizens of the EU, EEA or Switzerland must provide a valid passport or national identity card, as well as a digital photo or their face.

Non-EU, EEA or Swiss citizens must provide one of the following:

  • A valid passport
  • A valid biometric residence permit
  • A valid biometric residence card


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.