Evening Standard editor-in-chief Emily Sheffield asks Blair if aid budgets need to be repackaged
(Evening standard) “/>
Britain should reuse its aid funding to countries to help them fight Covid-19, Tony Blair urged today.
The former prime minister stressed that the UK should ‘do everything in its power’ to boost the rollout of coronavirus injections around the world.
In an interview with Emily Sheffield, editor-in-chief of Evening Standard, she was asked if aid budgets should be repackaged for about next year to help immunize people. âAbsolutely, we should do whatever we can to help countries,â he said.
He stressed that he was “never in favor of reducing” the UK aid budget from 0.7 percent of national income to 0.5, adding: “We have a huge interest in the world getting involved. get vaccinated. ” In the interview for Evening Standard’s London Rising online events to boost the capital’s recovery from the pandemic, Mr Blair also:
* Called on the leaders of the G7 rich country group (US, UK, Japan, Germany, Italy, France and Canada) to unite the world to get it vaccinated within eight months and put in place a Global Covid Variant Tracking System.
* Hailed London as “the world’s greatest capital”, but warned it faced a greater challenge after the pandemic than at any time in its recent history.
* Urged whoever wins the next mayoral race to focus on crime, housing, transport, post-Covid recovery and “getting London to come together the right way”.
* Said his “optimism” that at this time next year, people will be able to enjoy a “new normal”, provided that no variant of the anti-vaccine coronavirus is spread.
* Think people in the UK will support home use Covid vaccination certificates, saying, ‘If they think this is your passport to go out and be freer, they’ll think, well, we’ll go. ‘before and will.
* Explained how the Tony Blair Institute for Global Change has grown to over 300 people in over 30 countries, adding, “I’m just going to keep doing what I’m doing but I’m one of those restless people, I’m never really satisfied, therefore contentment is not my natural disposition.
Register for London Rising here
Blair doubts Scots still want independence referendum, even if SNP wins majority
Boris Johnson urged to ‘step up’ Northern Ireland
Johnson to set up new No 10 execution unit to drive political agenda
How to style 5 key pieces from the BOSS x Russell Athletic collection